Dr Nik Mahida
Title: Consultant Microbiologist and Infection Control Doctor at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust.
Department of Clinical Microbiology,
Nottingham University Hospital,
Queen’s Medical Centre
Qualifications: MB ChB, MRCP, Msc, FRCPath
Dr Nik Mahida has practised as a consultant microbiologist and infection control doctor at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust since 2017.
- A member of the clinical services committee for the British Infection Association, as the Infection Prevention and Control representative
- Currently a senior editor at the Journal of Hospital Infection
- He is involved in national guideline development such as the management of group A streptococcus in healthcare settings
- Currently the microbiologist and Infection control doctor for Spire Nottingham and Spire Little Aston.
- Was the second national Graham Ayliffe fellow from the Healthcare Infection Society, a fellowship for developing specialist skills in infection prevention and control
- Awarded a local clinical excellence award in 2018
Nik works as a full time medical microbiologist at Nottingham. He has an interest in complex infections, particularly in immunosuppressed groups and provides specialist infection management advice to the Nottingham tertiary Haematology bone marrow transplant centre.
Nik is the current lead infection control doctor for Nottingham University Hospitals. He is involved in developing and implementing infection control policies for Nottingham University Hospitals. He has been involved in supporting the Department of Health in evaluating novel diagnostics such as lateral flow devices during the COVID-19 pandemic. In his daily role, he is also involved in the control of healthcare associated infections including chairing weekly hospital infection control meetings reviewing clinical cases of MRSA, Clostridium difficile and multi-resistant gram negative bacteria. He has experience in hospital outbreak management having published several outbreak reports. He also jointly runs a training course for infection control practitioners, on hospital outbreak management.
Nik enjoys running and watching cricket.